Relaxing, Releasing, Rebalancing, Restorative
What is Zen Shiatsu?
What is Intuitive Zen Shiatsu?
- The word “shia-tsu” literally means “finger pressure”. In Shiatsu, the practitioner uses their palms, thumbs, elbows and knees to apply gentle pressure, stretches and manipulation to the client’s whole body.
- Shiatsu helps to relax and realign the muscles, bones, joints and connective tissue, as well as re-balance the person’s vital energy, re-establishing optimum well-being and inner harmony.
How does Shiatsu work?
- Oriental medicine is based on the concept that, at the sutblest level, everything in the universe is actually composed of ‘ki’ (or life force energy), including human beings. As human beings, our ki is constantly circulating in various ways: one of these is via lines or channels (meridians) that run throughout the body – the system that we work with in shiatsu.
- The body remains healthy when a person’s vital energy is balanced, and runs smoothly and evenly throughout the meridians. However, their ‘ki’ can sometimes become stagnant/blocked or deficient/ weak when subject to excessive external challenges or internal stress. For example, living in a polluted city or a damp house, eating a diet high in processed, unnatural foods, internal stress or improper breathing can all affect the free flow of our vital energy.
- When an energetic blockage or imbalance becomes pronounced, the physical body eventually produces a ‘symptom’, such as back pain, headaches, fatigue or constipation. This is the body’s way of signalling that there is an underlying energetic imbalance present and that in order to alleviate the symptom, we need to identify and address the root cause, as well as using some form of energy work (e.g. shiatsu, reiki, acupuncture, yoga, tai chi or qui gong) to rebalance the body’s vital energy.
- Shiatsu uses palm and finger pressure to work on specific meridians, identifying any areas of blockage (stagnation) or weakness (deficiency). By applying pressure and stretches to the meridians to clear or revitalise these, Shiatsu helps to release related tension and symptoms, and so re-establish inner harmony and well-being.