- The birth process is a huge event for both mother and baby, and afterwards both parties need time to rest and recover.
- During birth, the bones of the baby’s skull, spine and pelvis are not yet fully formed or solidified and can sometimes become compressed or misaligned. The baby can also experience shock due to various factors such as becoming stuck, forceps/ventous intervention, experiencing their mother’s fear or early/prolonged separation from their mother. Whilst the baby’s system is designed to re-balance itself and usually resolves any imprints naturally, sometimes more complicated or traumatic births can leave some residual problems.
- Symptoms such as excessive crying, colic, allergies, difficulty feeding or restlessness could be a sign that your baby has not fully recovered from the birth process – and that some gentle help or intervention may be helpful.
- Even the easiest of births can sometimes leave some unresolved disturbance (often showing up later in life as symptoms such as childhood headaches, dyslexia, anxiety or hyperactivity).
- Cranio-Sacral Therapy is extremely gentle and non-invasive, making it perfect for soothing and relaxing distressed babies.
Treatments for Babies:
- Your first appointment will last up to an hour, and important information about your pregnancy and the birth itself will be discussed.
- During the treatment the parent or carer is present and often holds the baby. Treatments are carried out through clothing and can be performed when the baby is asleep, feeding or awake.
- The therapist will use extremely gentle touch to ‘tune into’ the baby’s delicate system to help to release any tension or restrictions, calm the nervous system, and help the baby to deeply relax and return to a more peaceful state.
- Unresolved birth trauma is sometimes thought to affect the child in later in life, showing up as disturbances in their health, learning or behaviour. In addition, the inevitable childhood bumps and falls can also leave an imprint on a child’s delicate system, causing symptoms such as headaches, back pain or behavioural issues.
- The very gentle touch of Cranio Sacral Therapy can help to identify and free up any restrictions in your child’s system, helping them to relax, experience a renewed sense of well being and balance.
- Toddlers and older children are free to play while receiving treatment. Please do bring their favourite toys, books or blankets to the session to help them to feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible.
- Craniosacral Therapy can help to provide support and nurturing to mothers during pregnancy by easing tensions and restrictions, and helping the mother to relax, connect more deeply with and trust her body’s natural processes.
- Mothers can also benefit from treatment following the birth to help release any residual tension or trauma caused by the birth process, and to help their body to relax, rest and regain their energy.
- Treatments can also help to provide support when mothers are feeling exhausted or overwhelmed.
Please note: unfortunately I am no longer permitted by the Advertising Standards Agency to name any specific conditions or situations in which people have found Cranio-Sacral Therapy to be helpful. However, if you have any questions then I would be happy to discuss your individual situation with you based on my experience over the last twelve years (with no obligation, of course). Please see my Contacts page for details on how to get in touch.
You can also read more about the benefits of Cranio Sacral Therapy for babies and children on this informative website. And here is another great article about how birth trauma can affect both mothers and babies, and how treatments could help.
Please note: nothing in this website is intended to interrupt or replace the relationship you have with your doctor or to discourage you from seeking medical advice where applicable.