Relaxing, Releasing, Rebalancing, Restorative
Ecstatic Awakening Dance™ is a fun, powerful and transformational conscious dance and self-healing method created by Amoda Maa Jeevan in 1996. Combining music, movement, breath and awareness, Ecstatic Awakening Dance™ is done mainly with the eyes closed – the focus being on your inner experience.
The Ecstatic Awakening Dance™ method helps you to:
In essence, meditation is a witnessing of whatever happens within ourselves (our body, mind, and emotions) and outside (the world around us) without reaction or judgement. It helps us to gain freedom from suffering created by our ego/thinking mind and the accompanying mental, emotional or physical symptoms. As we learn to quieten our minds and ‘see through’ our limited, mind-based ‘reality’, we become more able to connect with our true, core nature – one of peace, love, joy, abundance and wholeness.
Traditionally, meditation has been practiced through passive sitting – watching the breath, body and mind. However, people suffering from high levels of tension, stress or unresolved emotions, or who simply prefer movement meditation, can also benefit from active forms of meditation in order to release some of stuck emotions and tension, before more peaceful states can be reached.
In essence, there is no difference between active and passive meditations. Whilst the techniques differ, their intent is the same – to empty the mind and help you connect more deeply with yourself and universal Oneness.
There are five stages to the Ecstatic Awakening Dance™ process:
1) Warm Up (15-20 minutes): A guided warmup, helping you loosen and relax your whole body from head to toe;
2) Shake (10-15 minutes): Focusing particularly on the pelvic area, where many people store tension, trauma or fear, this gentle yet powerful shaking technique helps to release tension, stuck energy and emotions – and to reawaken your ‘life force’ energy;
3) Ecstatic Dance (45-50 minutes): The main part of the process. Free-form, eyes-closed dance meditation where you begin to journey deep within yourself – exploring, experiencing, expressing, releasing and reconnecting with forgotten parts of yourself. The repetitive beats and simple breathing techniques help bring you into the present moment, stimulate ‘whole brain activity’ and facilitate a process of surrender and ‘letting go’ – enabling you to access deeper states of being and awareness.
As with sitting meditation, if you experience periods of discomfort, resistance or challenging emotions, you are encouraged to keep moving and breathing, and to become a loving witness to your experiences. After some time, you will experience a natural ‘letting go’ or a ‘dropping beneath’ the difficult sensations. By lovingly accepting all parts of yourself and your experience, a process of integration and healing occurs. By gradually surrendering to more and more layers of pain, resistance and past story, and connecting to the present moment through music and dance, we become more easily able to experience our natural states of peace, joy and oneness!
4) Stillness (10-15 minutes): when the music stops, you drop to the floor in silence, taking time to rest and relax. This in important part of the process, allowing for the integration of your experiences, and letting your energies and emotions settle.
5) Guided meditation (5 minutes): to help with grounding and transition back to every day life.
We finish with a closing circle, where there is the (optional) opportunity to share a few words or sentences about your experience if you choose.
Ecstatic Awakening Dance is a totally individual experience: there’s no right or wrong way to move or be, so no dance or meditation experience is required.
You’ll be given an explanation of the process at the start of the class, and I will guide you through each stage step by step, so there’s nothing you need to know or remember in advance.
– Clothes that you’re comfortable dancing in. (I usually recommend dance barefoot.)
– A bottle of water to stay hydrated.
– A jumper and/or blanket for the lying down part of the class if you tend to get cold.
£15.00 (or 5 classes for £60)
Concessionary rate £12.00 or £10.00 (pay what you can afford)
Please click on this link for more information.